Ginger IPA

Steeping Specialty Malts

Steeping Specialty Malts

The first ginger beer I had was on my honeymoon: Mount Desert Island Ginger from Atlantic Brewing Company in Maine. That was one our early beer adventurs and sort of what got us started on hitting so many breweries and brewpubs. I remember the ginger flavor being noticable but not overwhelming, and just generally having a great time at the bar there and on the tour.

Ginger is one of Amanda’s favorite flavors, and IPA one of her favorite beer styles, so why not combine them? It was her turn to pick a beer for me to make, so after doing some quick online research I formulated a recipe for a Ginger IPA.

I wanted to do a single IPA that wasn’t too bitter so that the ginger flavor would come through better. I also wanted to use honey since that added a great flavor the last time I brewed IPA.

The beer began with just a couple specialty malts — 20L and 60L crystal malt, and Belgian Biscuit, which should give a good bready flavor. These were steeped for 30 mintues total in 3 gallons of water as I brought the temperature from 150 up to 170 degrees.

Hops and Ginger

Hops and Ginger

From there I added the fermentable sugars: 6.5 pounds of malt extract syrup and 1 pound of honey. These were brought to a boil and then the hopping began: Galena, Chinook, and Fuggles over the course of the next hour of boiling. 2 oz of ginger were added for the final 15 minutes.

Boiling Wort with Ginger and Hops

Boiling Wort with Ginger and Hops

After the boil was done, I utilized my Alton-Brown-approved method of cooling off the wort: ice cubes! About 1.5 gallons of ice cubes (made in sterilized ice cube trays of course) brought the temperature down to 90 degrees.

Straining the Wort into Brewing Pail

Straining the Wort into Brewing Pail

The wort was then cold enough to transfer to the brewing pail. I then added in enough cold water to bring the total volume to 5.5 gallons, which is enough to fill my glass carboy during secondary fermentation. I had to wait a couple hours for the temperature to drop to 80 degrees, and then I added the White Labs California Ale Yeast.

Zephyr Takes and Interest in Beer

Zephyr Takes and Interest in Beer

After putting on the air lock, the cats immediately took an interest in the beer. Athena was freaked out every time I brought her close to the airlock. I think she smelled the hops and didn’t like that much. Zephyr was more curious and climbed up on the counter to check things out (that’s NOT a posed shot!). Once the beer started bubbling, however, they stayed away.

From here’s on out it’s a waiting game! In a few short weeks we’ll get our first taste of Ginger IPA…

Here’s a link to the recipe spreadsheet: GingerIPA

This entry was posted in Beer, Homebrewing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Ginger IPA

1. Faye says:

Hi there,

I’ve been on the lookout for a ginger beer recipe and I must say yours sounds delicious. How did it turn out? Could you share the measurements and times (malt and hop weights, hopping time, type of malt extract)?

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!!

• pinchaque says:

Thanks for the comment! It turned out really well with a good balance of ginger flavor. It has also changed as it’s been sitting. The ginger has gotten more pronounced and richer, but not in a sharp or pungent way that you’d have in a ginger beer. I’ll send you the recipe spreadsheet later today via email.

2. josh says:

This sounds like a great recipe. I too have been searching for a great ipa with ginger. I would appreciate more info.

• pinchaque says:

Thanks for the message! I’ll send you the recipe via email. I’ve been drinking a bottle every couple of weeks of the beer. Another change has been that the last few bottles have been extremely carbonated: pour one inch of beer and you get 4 of foam! But the flavor is still great.

3. Nellie says:

Ginger and IPA’s are also tow of my favorite flavors, and have been wanting to make a ginger IPA for awhile. Could you send me the recipe as well, please? Thanks!

4. Connor says:

I was just about to start a ginger IPA as well. Was the last 15 minutes of boil the only time that you added ginger?

Also if you could send me the recipe that you used that would be awesome, thanks!

5. Bill says:

Hi, I too have been looking for a great ginger IPA recipe, any chance you can send me the spread sheet as well? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

6. Brad says:

Add another IPA and ginger lover to the list. If you would send me your speadsheet I would greatly appreciate it!

7. Christi says:

Your Ginger IPA sounds delicious. If you could also send me the recipe via e-mail I would appreciate it. Thank You

8. Mike says:

Hate to sound like a copy cat, but could I also get a copy of the recipe? I saw a recipe online that used candied ginger, any thoughts? Would you tweak yours at all now? Thank so much!

9. Brad says:

Sounds awesome. Can you please email the recipe? BradP316@aol.com

Thanks!

10. Peter says:

This sounds delicious man. I want to make a ginger IPA, but I have concerns about the beer becoming to bitter and astringent. I gotta jump on the band wagon here, could you send me your recipe as well? Cheers!